Nightly Meal: Vegan Mac n Cheese, green salad, and Roasted Vegetables
Yesterday, I made this mac n cheese from Veg News and it was, hands down, the best mac n cheese I have had, ever! The texture was just right, the flavor was spot on. Everyone loved it and it will become a staple in my recipe index. I found this recipe to be inexpensive and easy to prepare. This dish would also work well for a potluck and can easily be made gluten free with a switch from wheat noodles to rice noodles.
- To get the “cheese sauce” the right smoothness, a high speed blender is a must. This will be a disaster if it has chunks of under processed cashews in it.
- If you want to cut corners store bought breadcrumbs work just fine sprinkled on top. I did this, without melting butter with the crumbs too.
- Make sure you make the veggies small dices so that they will be covered with the cup of water during the cooking process.
- This dish can be prepared during the day and then baked right before dinner.
- If you are not a vegan and want to try, swap the margarine with real butter.
I encourage you to step out of your comfort zone and give this dish a try. I wish I took a picture…